How To Apply Vinyl Mirror Decals
Vinyl mirror decals are a fun way to add a unique touch to your home décor, but they can be tricky to apply if you haven't done it before. Don't worry - we've got you! Read on to find out our best tricks on how to apply mirror decals.
What you'll need:
- Your chosen mirror decal
- Your chosen mirror
- Glass cleaner and cloth
- An application tool of choice (squeegees, thick cardboard or bank cards work best to apply mirror decals)
Prepping the mirror for decal application
Vinyl mirror decals work best on clean surfaces, but they need to be completely dry, otherwise your vinyl decal won't stick to the mirror.
For the best mirror decal application, spray your mirror with a glass cleaner of your choice and wipe well. Ensure your mirror is dry before moving on to the next step.
Applying the mirror decal: step-by-step
- Your mirror decal should come with transfer tape overlaying the design. This tape is how the design is transferred from the backing paper to the mirror.
- Slowly peel the transfer tape away from the backing paper. The decal should now be fully attached to the transfer tape.
- In the rare instance that the decal has not attached to the transfer tape, slowly lay the transfer tape back over the mirror decal. Take your application tool of choice (cardboard, squeegee or bank card) and rub over the decal a few times in different directions. This will help your decal adhere to the transfer tape.
- Once the decal has adhered to the transfer tape, carefully place the decal (still on the transfer tape) in the desired place on your mirror. For best application, we recommend applying from one corner and slowly rolling the rest of the decal down whilst applying pressure to the decal. We find that if you stick the middle of the decal down first and rub outwards, there may be bubbles or ripples on the vinyl.
- Once the transfer tape holding the decal is in place on your desired spot on the mirror, take your application tool and rub over the transfer tape with moderate pressure from different directions. Repeat this a few times to apply the mirror decal.
- Slowly peel back the transfer tape. Your mirror decal should now be stuck in place on your mirror. If your decal comes away with the transfer tape, slowly lay the transfer tape back down (avoiding bubbles and ripples) and repeat step 5.
- Enjoy your jazzy new mirror decal!
A customer snap of our "You Look Fabulous, Darling" mirror decal applied to a salon mirror
Shop our best-selling hand-lettered mirror decals